Monday, July 23, 2012

The final countdown.

First, explanations are due.
The blog name - Vagrant Family is a tip of the hat to the Commander. The first time I met him was when I went to see him play with his band, the Vagruntz, way back in August 1999. But since no one will want to try to remember that odd spelling, I went with the dictionary spelling to simplify.

The Nicknames -  Nicknames for all this time for more anonymity. Everyone except the cats, because they don't care. I put photos of our motley crew (hee hee) down the side for reference, and when I finally get a picture of myself, I'll update that as well.
Obviously I'm going with captain due to my latest and greatest Halloween costume, and because I've asked Siri to call me that just to make me smile when she keeps telling me that she didn't understand what I was asking.
Hubs is the commander for less obvious reasons. The first being he wouldn't appreciate any of the other clever character names I come up with, Vessini, Inigo, Dread Pirate Roberts, or a Jane Austin character. And the second, well, he's not typing this, I am.
I call the girls a variety of nicknames throughout the day, but for this blog they will be Sassy and Little Bear just because that's what I've settled on. Sassy is six now, and well, she's too sassy for words since she went to school and is smarter that mommy now. Little Bear turned three and spends half of her time being carefree like Baloo in the jungle book and half her time growling like a grizzly.

And finally the relocation. Commander accepted a job in Hunstville, AL pretty much due to financial reasons. With his jump in status, I will now be staying home with Little Bear and providing transportation to and from school for Sassy. I'm staying on part time with my job to train my replacement, but that will end when my boss or I get tired of the arrangement. (I'm betting I cave first . . .)

So this is it. 10 days. 10 days until we head South. Our family is excited with a small bit of terror mixed in. It is safe to say that I am supplying most of the terror, because the rest of the crew is excited that the Commander will get to spend a lot more time with us as a family with this new job.

But to share where my terror is coming from . . .take a look at my version of "packing"


I'm my defense, I had Sinus surgery 2 weeks ago so I haven't been very on top of the housework. Usually its only ankle deep, not waist deep. : )

Anyway, the pressure is on as the commander and I wrap up our last work weeks in NE and try desperately to get on the road next Thursday.

Stay tuned. . . .

3 comments:

  1. So excited for this new opportunity for you all. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited that you are going to blog through it! I will keep your family in my prayers, I think it is all very exciting. Staying home will be so wonderful, I just had that one year off, but it was life changing. You'll be glad you took the time to write about it because in two years it will all be a blur!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And that picture of your Sassy?! Hmmmmm...she reminds me of someone. I just can't quite place it...

    ReplyDelete